Galleria Doria Pamphilj
SALA DEL PUSSINO
This huge room is decorated by numerous paintings by “Pussino”, the nickname Gaspard Dughet took from his brother-in-law Nicolas Poussin.
The large canvases were probably commissioned by Prince Camillo Pamphilj for the Lazio residences of Valmontone and Nettuno but were soon brought here. Spread across the walls is a series of landscapes of the Roman countryside, which seems to appear, perhaps for the first time, in its powerful summer intensity. Much of this sequence was originally made for specific objects, covering double-sided surfaces that served to divide spaces, and probably to decorate and protect beds.
On the walls are original and precious counter-cut velvets that lend their name to the room, while the ceiling is the work of Liborio Marmorelli, who worked here in 1768.
The former Music Room, consisting of two adjoining spaces, was completely redecorated in the second half of the 19th century by the architect Andrea Busiri Vici, with precious silks on the walls.
This houses fragments of frescoes dating back to the earliest phases of the building complex (1507), when it was referred to as the “sala pulcherimma depicta” (most beautiful painted hall).
The room was enlarged in the 19th century by the architect Andrea Busiri Vici and the ceiling and floor were rebuilt after 1956. In the centre is a large two-coloured marble sculpture of a Centaur dating to the Antonine era (2nd century), discovered in Albano in the mid-19th century. The walls are lined with a rich series of archaeological finds, including several sarcophagi. Among the paintings, we must mention the two marvellous canvases of the Penitent Magdalene and the Rest on the Flight into Egypt by the young Caravaggio, Titian’s Salome, the Double portrait by Raphael, and two large painted altarpieces, the Descent from the Cross by Giorgio Vasari and the Sacrifice of Noah by Ciro Ferri.
THE "CORTILE DEL BRAMANTE"
As soon as you walk through the main door on Via del Corso, Palazzo Doria welcomes you to its magnificent colonnaded courtyard of classical, elegant proportions, attributed in past centuries to Bramante, one of the greatest architects and painters of the Renaissance, the friend and colleague of Leonardo, Michelangelo and Raphael. In the centre is a garden with fruit trees and a circular fountain.